1. For an organization to avoid the pitfalls of scandal and disgrace and consistently display the intent to conduct its business in a socially acceptable manner, the CEO and those around the CEO, must be openly and unswervingly committed to ethical conduct and socially redeeming principles and core values.
2. Leading the effort to operate the company’s business in an ethically principled fashion has three pieces:
- The CEO and other senior executives must set an excellent example in their actions and decisions
- Top management must declare unequivocal support of the company’s ethical code and take an uncompromising stand on expecting all company personnel to conduct themselves in an ethical fashion at all times
- Top management must be prepared to act as the final arbiter on hard calls